View Full Version : Donating an Arabian w/ EPM?
03-19-2008, 02:05 PM
Would anyone happen to know of anywhere/anyone that would take a horse with EPM? A friend got one(a really nice arabian). The horse has had two treatments but she can't afford the rest(the horse was given to her on a whim after the first two). She was wondering if there was a place she could send it like a vet college for research purposes or if there was osmewhere she could donate the horse that would be willing to give the full medical dose.
Also, she wondered if there were any natural ways to treat EPM(herbs, supplements, chrio, accupuncture, etc).
Any ideas, really. She says its a gorgeous horse(she would know-she's been showing arabs forever) but she just doesn't have the time or the resources(she's up in age and retired).
03-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Your friend should probably start by talking with her vet or veterinary college about treatment & also her local Arabian horse club/association. If the mare was "somebody", she might get some interest there. Also, perhaps she could post -- or have someone post for her -- on www.ablackhorse.com .
As I understand it, time can be of the essence in treating EPM to get the optimal results, so she should not wait. Good luck to your friend and her mare.
03-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Google Doc. Marvin Cain. I know his daughter has a clinic where they have treated epm very successfully.
03-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Are you are saying the horse was treated correctly twice but the treatments didn't work? It is possible that the EPM was too far along before being detected. How do you know? Recognize that once a horse has been exposed to EPM it will show up on a blood test.
03-21-2008, 06:12 AM
No, I'm saying the horse was given two of the string of treatments when the owner decided to give him to my friend. The horse can probably be cured of the disease but she doesn't have the funds available for it. It has never had a full dose of the treatment.
03-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Before she gives up on the horse, tell her to read the April 2008 issue of Equus magazine! She needs to clarify, via discussion with the Vet a)how severe the symptoms are b)exactly what treatment was given and for how long and c)whether the test that was used to diagnose the EPM was one of the more exact ones for differential diagnosis or if this might be a false positive.
The article compares other diseases that can have symptoms similar to EPM and sometimes are assumed to be, but may not be. Some of the tests used, per the article, can only tell whether antibodies are present - which in some cases just means the horse was exposed, but not really infected. It is a great article, and may help her make a good decision. If not, please post back on here that she still needs to find the mare a home, and I, and am sure others, will share the info (via a link to this message thread) with folks we know who have Arabians. What State is the mare located in? How severe are her symptoms? Has the current owner already tried vitamin E supplementation in case it is really the (very easily treatable, comparatively speaking) EMND?
03-21-2008, 11:27 AM
The curent owner (my friend) has had the horse for three days. She only knows what the previous owners told her-that a vet was out, the horse wa stested for and showe dpositive for EPM. The horse does have the characteristic stumbling gaits, muscle atrophy, etc. My friend, does't want o spend a ton of money to get the vet out nor does she want to send it back to th eowners(for fear they'll just send to slaughter). She wants the horse to go somewhere where it'll vbe "useful". That's about all I know. The prvious owners are being very uncooperative as far as everything goes. So she basically just wants the horse taken somewhere it'll be taken care of.
03-21-2008, 05:05 PM
What State is the mare in, please? Knowing the geographic area would be most helpful.
03-21-2008, 05:14 PM
Is this a mare or gelding? Somehow I got the idea you were talking about a mare but now I am confused. It is great you are trying to help, but we all need more details, including where the horse is now, thanks!
03-22-2008, 07:27 AM
It's a gelding and he's in Texas. Like I said, I really don't know much about the horse(neither does the new owner as the old owners are not being cooperative). She really just wanted a vet school or the like to send him to.he'll never be a show horse again so getting him 'fixed" is the top priority. He isn't so much a "rescue" as a "are there any vet schools taking donations". It'll be near impossible to find a home that wants to spend the money to get him fixed when he may not be able to ever be ridden again. Which is why I asked for vet clinis/hospitals.
03-22-2008, 07:45 PM
If someone can take the horse off of her hands, how does she prefer to be contacted? Is she letting you do all the legwork, or at some point is she willing to be contacted directly.
Texas is a huge state! What major city is he closest to, Dallas, Houston etc?
Details, we need details...
03-28-2008, 09:11 AM
We've placed Stepper at a home in Canada where he'll hang out with other very nice arabians and will eventually be used for light showing! :)
vBulletin® v3.6.4, Copyright ©2000-2013, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.